Friday 16 November 2012

My Chosen Game Industry Career

Looking through all the really interesting jobs there are in the games industry, the one that mainly interests me is going into 3D modelling and game designing. The main reason that gets me to choose this career path over others in the games industry is because, for me, 3D modelling is an extremely interesting and enjoyable part of the games industry. It includes making things, like 3D models of people, different characters, objects etc. This is one of the only opportunities where I'm able to create something that is in a game. Other jobs that are included in game designing are sketching, concept art etc. that are also used to help with modelling and game designing.

But of course, as good as 3D modelling sounds, specific skills are required for the job. Probably the most useful skill in terms of 3D modelling is the knowledge of how to use Maya. This application is used in many games today, and is still being used. An application of Maya was even used to make ames Cameron's Avatar. In terms of game design, other skills include sketching and drawing, and mainly coming up with ideas of models, like what characters and/or objects would look like in the game. I also believe this role would be suitable for me, as I have a big imagination, enabling me to create different things on my mind, and I also have a good drawing skill, giving me an advantage when it comes to drawing/sketching.

Here, I've found an advertisement for a position as a game designer.


Games Designer

Area: East Midlands
  • Salary: Wholly dependent upon experience
  • Currency: UK Pound
  • 700 Job Views
Full Fat GamesA new position for an Experienced Mobile Game Designer has just opened up in our Midlands based Games Studio. We are looking for a highly talented and creative Game Designer to join our team and to work on unannounced titles. Who you are: •You are an experienced game designer who has shipped...


This is a link to the website I found the advertisement on.
http://www.gamesjobsdirect.com/

My CV


20 Arnesby Road
Lenton
Nottingham
NG7 2EA
Alex Lee
E-mail: ajleegs12@gmail.com
Mobile Number: 07583080501
Personal Statement
Ever since I was a child, I have had a huge interest in video games, and I am currently studying games development at Confetti College. My studies include learning about games consoles and how they work, learning about the games industry itself and what to expect, story in games, 3D modelling and games design and IT in terms of games. I’m enthusiastic about the work I am set, and motivated to get work done on time and at a high level. I’m reliable and able to get work handed in on time. I’m organised with my work, and dependable to complete it at a high level. Depending on the work I’m set, I’m able to enjoy completing it, being as creative and imaginative as I can.
Education
I have achieved GCSE grades A-C in Maths, English, ICT, Religious studies, Resistant Materials and Art, and grade D in Science, History and Citizenship.
Work Experience
For two weeks I have worked in a shop called Harrison & Simmonds. My job was to pack and unpack the items we received weekly and either store them or put them on display. I also worked at the till serving customers. In my experience I learnt how to deal with different kinds customers, and gave me a good understanding of what it was like to work in the position.
I was also a play tester at Mantic Games headquarters; play testing the second season of the game DreadBall. I was required to use my skills to analyse the new features of the game, state what worked, what didn’t work, and what improvements could be made. I was able to use my knowledge of the game to effectively test the new season, while at the same time being honest on what I thought about this new season, and energetic when testing the game.
Hobbies
I am quite athletic and enjoy playing racket sports, including tennis, table tennis and badminton. I like watching films and listening to music.  I am a gamer; open to playing almost any sort of game, but the games I play and enjoy the most are fighting games, such as Mortal Kombat and Tekken. I also enjoy playing board games, card games and strategy games, like DreadBall, poker etc. Overall, I’m flexible when it comes to games, willing to try out new experiences. I’m also a quick learning, being able to get into almost any sort of game. I also enjoy hobbies that include strategic and tactical thinking, which again aim towards games such as Mortal Kombat and DreadBall.

No comments:

Post a Comment